Publix, The Schools Foundation focus on ‘Tools for Back-to-School”
MADISON – A trip to Publix supermarket can yield more than milk and bread as the stores partner with The Schools Foundation in the “Tools for Back-to-School” campaign.
The campaign uses ‘register collection’ to raise funds for the three public school districts in Madison County.
Shoppers and Publix associates can donate at the registers at participating Publix stores beginning July 12 and extending through July 23.
Established in 2000, The Schools Foundation supports Huntsville City Schools, Madison City Schools and Madison County Schools through programming, funding and advocacy for principals, teachers and students. The foundation represents more than 56,000 students.
In 2022, customers and Publix employees donated approximately $94,000 during the 14-day event. “Our Tools for Back-to-School program grew out of the need to help students and teachers,” Brenda Reid said. Reid works as Community Relations Manager for Publix.
“The Schools Foundation is proud to partner again with Publix,” Stephanie Kelley said. Kelley is Executive Director of The Schools Foundation.
“We are thankful to have such a wonderful community steward like Publix to help the foundation in its mission to support our public schools across Madison County,” Kelley said.
Donations help students who don’t have basic classroom materials, like pens, markers, crayons and notebooks. Unfortunately, many teachers buy supplies with their money to provide these resources.
In addition, the community’s financial support will help schools provide students with additional supplies in STEM classrooms, rewards for positive classroom behavior and new classrooms called sensory gardens, Kelley said.
The Schools Foundation endorses several beliefs in helping teachers and students:
* Nothing is more important than students.
* Parental, business and community involvement are essential for quality education.
* Teachers must have personal and career development opportunities that help inspire and prepare students for success.
* On-going communication among stakeholders creates mutual trust and respect.
* School communities cannot depend solely on local, state and federal governments to fully meet students’ needs.
* Every constituency within the community has a stake and deserves a voice in the success of public education.
The Schools Foundation’s mailing address is P.O. Box 763, Huntsville AL 35804. For more information, call 256-535-2080, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit theschoolsfoundation.org.