Horizon is first Madison school to reach ‘Lighthouse’ status
MADISON – Horizon Elementary School has earned the prestigious “Lighthouse” status with the “Leader in Me” program. Horizon is the first Madison school to receive this award.
“Leader in Me incorporates ‘The 7 Habits of Happy Kids’ by Sean Covey. Horizon is 1 of 393 schools in the world with this certification and one of about 20 in the state of Alabama,” Horizon Counselor Jennifer Walker said. Rodney Richardson is Principal of Horizon.
Horizon’s faculty and students have worked for five years to obtain Lighthouse certification. “The award is the culmination of the school’s work in the Leader in Me program. Horizon has organized their first Student Lighthouse Team. They will work alongside one another, as well as faculty and staff to make leadership decisions,” Walker said.
Leader in Me provides a school with the vision and language to lead the school to excel in all areas of development. As each child discovers and develops his or her unique gifts and talents, the student receives opportunities to lead. (theleaderinmeonline.org)
As leaders, students become active, engaged partners in their own education. The children quickly understand benefits of different gifts and talents. They learn to listen to new ideas, work together to achieve results and motivate one another to be the best, according to the Leader in Me website.
In his book, Covey defines seven habits that build character and healthy behavior for a child. Horizon students are embracing the habits and deciding the ways that they can put the ideas into action in their lives:
* Habit 1 — Be proactive. You’re in charge and responsible for your thoughts and actions.
* Habit 2 — Begin with the end in mind. Know what you want, value and believe.
* Habit 3 — Put first things first. Prioritize. Do your work first, and then play.
* Habit 4 — Think win-win. Visualize mutual benefits with other people.
* Habit 5 — Seek first to understand and then to be understood. Listen before you talk.
* Habit 6 — Synergize. Creatively cooperate with others.
* Habit 7 — ‘Sharpen the saw.’ Continuously renew your body, brain, heart and soul.
(From “The 7 Habits of Happy Kids” by Sean Covey)