Artists’ designs to fill Holiday Card Lane
MADISON – During December, Holiday Card Lane will feature artists’ seasonal designs on two streets in downtown Madison.
Madison Arts Alliance or MAA is sponsor for the event. (‘Holiday Card Lane’ formerly used the name, ‘Christmas Card Lane.’) Madison’s Holiday Card Lane will open on the evening of Dec. 1.
“Holiday Card Lane offers a fun, exciting way to feature local artists and spread holiday cheer. Larger-than-life painted cards will be showcased in front of historic homes along Front Street and down Church Street. Artists create new cards, and we feature a few past favorites, too,” MAA President Rosalie Holcombe said.
Large wooden flats serve as artwork canvases. Owners of historic homes have consented for placement of the cards on exhibit in their front yards.
“This year, we are also offering the opportunity for local businesses and families to sponsor cards,” Holcombe said. Sponsorship fee is $100. A sponsorship will benefit the business and artist:
* Artists – A sponsorship can help in supporting local artists in a financial gesture and the community’s Christmas cheer during the holiday season.
* Signage – MAA volunteers will place a printed sign with the business’ name or logo next to a holiday card for the high-traffic, ongoing event.
* Online presence – MAA, along with individuals, will post notes on social media to promote Holiday Card Lane.
Holiday Card Lane has guidelines to follow:
* Any artist can submit a card; Madison residency is not required.
* A card must reflect one of these themes: traditional, whimsical or religious.
* Artists must submit an application; visit madisonartsalliance.org/holidaycardlane. Include a detailed description of the proposed card. MAA may request a sketch of the proposed artwork by email.
* Madison Arts Alliance will review and approve artist submissions.
* Madison Arts Alliance will provide selected artists with a 4-by-6-foot sheet of half-inch thick, sanded plywood as the design medium. Artists must provide all other needed supplies. Artists can add elements to the card that create a two-dimensional effect. Artists can pick up plywood on Oct. 16-20.
* Artists must submit holiday cards by Nov. 18. Holiday Card Lane will open on Dec. 1.
Awards will include “Best in Show,” $450; first place, $300; second, $200; and third, $100.
Madison Arts Alliance reserves the right to determine if submitted holiday cards are appropriate for the general public and reserves the right to refrain from showcasing holiday card submissions.
MAA needs volunteers to help with the cards’ setup and take down. For more information, visit madisonartsalliance.org.