Public can join Post 229 Auxiliary Unit in giving Christmas gifts to retired vets
MADISON – Post 229 Auxiliary Unit, affiliated with Madison American Legion, is collecting Christmas gifts to brighten the holidays for the residents of Tut Fann State Veterans Home in Huntsville.
Two drop-off locations in Madison are available: Posh Mommy and Baby Too!, 7755 U.S. 72 W., Monday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and 129 Bluff Spring Drive in vicinity of James Clemens High school at any time.
“We can also make arrangements to pick up donations,” Jean Downs said. Downs is a member of Madison American Legion and is President of Post 229 Auxiliary Unit. “Items need to be collected by Dec. 18. Please do not wrap the items.”
Individuals who want to give a gift can choose from a wide range of merchandise:
* Compact discs – Recordings of greatest hits in country, rhythm and blues, jazz, gospel, Big Band, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s.
* Handheld electronic games – Devices for Mega Screen Electronic Poker, Blackjack, Solitaire or Slots.
* Over-the-head headphones – Do not give in-ear headphones.
* New art supplies — Watercolor paints and paper, acrylic paints, small canvases, paint brushes, foam paint brushes, small crafts or wooden pieces that can be painted, glue, glue sticks, military scrapbook paper and stickers.
* Men’s white undershirts – In sizes L and XL, along with some gifts in M, 2XL, 3XL.
* Men’s belts — Large sizes, 36-50 inches.
* Men’s house shoes and slippers – Non-slip, not slip-on in sizes 9-10, 11-12.
* Handmade Christmas cards – With a personal message.
* Individually packaged snacks — Bags of chips, crackers or cookies; Cracker Jacks; mini cans of soda; beef jerky; pudding; applesauce.
* Toiletries – Avoid travel sizes. Body wash in ‘manly scents’ like Axe or Old Spice; after shave that does not contain alcohol and is not packaged in glass; shampoo and conditioner; toothpaste and mouthwash without alcohol; lotion, lip balm.
The residents do not need toothbrushes, hairbrushes, combs, tissues, Q-Tips and cotton balls.
In other legion work, American Legion, Post 229 and Auxiliary Unit 229 decorated an entry for the annual Polar Express Christmas Tree Trail. Members decided on a theme this year to honor Madison’s Gold Star Families. “Each fallen hero has a star with their name on the tree. The base is an amazing replica of the Gold Star banner with the tree coming out of the center star,” American Legion, Post 229 Commander Larry Vannoy said.
For more information, call Downs at 256-929-8450 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.