Reflections selects ‘Within Reach’ for theme
MADISON – PTA volunteers at Madison schools have launched the Reflections fine arts contest for this school year.
“Within Reach” is the contest theme for the 2017-2018 Reflections competition.
The contest is affiliated with the national PTA Reflections campaign. Locally, Madison City Council of PTAs sponsors Reflections for all students in elementary, middle and high schools.
PTA Reflections is a nationally acclaimed student recognition program to encourage artistic creativity in the classroom and at home. Students of all grades and abilities may participate and explore the arts.
Students can enter the contest in any or all of these categories:
* Visual Arts — These works may be architectural drawing and models, ceramics, collage, computer-generated images and graphics, crafts, drawings, fashion clothes and jewelry, fiber work, mixed media, painting, printmaking and sculpture, among others.
* Literature — Eligible types are fiction and nonfiction, including prose, poetry, reflective essay, screenplay, play script, narrative and short story.
* Film Production — Accepted forms are animation, narrative, documentary, experimental or media presentation. Use of PowerPoint is prohibited.
* Dance Choreography — Solo and ensemble works of all dance styles are eligible. Video file cannot exceed five minutes and 1 GB in size.
* Music Composition — All music styles and combinations of instrumentation are accepted. Audio file cannot exceed five minutes and 1 GB in size.
* Photography — Photo must be a single print/digital image. Collages and collections of photos are not accepted.
In reviewing Reflections entries, local residents who serve as judges will look at three main considerations:
* Interpretation — How closely does the piece, including the actual project and artist statement, relate to the theme?
* Creativity — How much originality did the student use in the conception and work for the presentation?
* Technique — What level of skill did the student demonstrate in the basic principles for the subject area?
Teachers at Madison Elementary School already are encouraging students to enter. For more information about the contest and to download entry forms, visit madisonelementarypta.com/reflections.html.