Bob Jones Patriot Players solve the question in ‘Mamma Mia!’
MADISON – Bob Jones Patriot Players will solve an important question for a bride-to-be in their production of “Mamma Mia!”
Mary Davis, Director and drama teacher, selected “Mamma Mia!” as the 2022 Spring Musical for her love of the show. “All of my life, I’ve loved to dance, and numbers in ‘Mamma Mia’ are electric with high-energy dancing that’ll have everyone tapping their feet to the beat. The music is infectious and brings a smile to everyone’s face.”
The young cast thoroughly enjoys singing Abba’s songs from the 1970s. Davis knows the audience also will love classic Abba.
“The pandemic has taken away many typical experiences for students. I wanted a show (to) give them an incredible experience full of laughter, love and joy!” Davis said.
ABBA’s songs tell the hilarious story of a young woman’s search for her birth father on a Greek island. On her wedding’s eve, the daughter meets three men from her mother’s past on the island 20 years ago.
Students are handling 25 full songs, multiple costume changes and complicated group dance. The musical’s plot matches the movie, with a couple of extra scenes in the musical. Audience members who only know the movie’s story will be excited at vivid dances and songs, Davis said.
Numerous lead actors carry this musical:
* Alia McGee — Sophie Sheridan, Donna’s 20-year-old daughter. Sophie, raised on the Greek island, wants to discover her birth father before her wedding.
* Eleanor Matheney — Donna Sheridan, Sophie’s mother. Donna owns Taverna and entertains with The Dynamos.
* Adam Mercier — Sam Carmichael, invited to the wedding. Is he Sophie’s father?
* Matthew Pimmel — Harry Bright, another wedding guest. Could Harry be Sophie’s father?
* Tyler Martin — Bill Austin, the third candidate for Sophie’s father.
* Jimena Sanchez — Rosie, Donna’s friend and member of The Dynamos.
* Tatianna Mikel — Tanya, Donna’s friend and Dynamos singer/dancer.
* Rylen Byers — Sky, Sophie’s fiance.
* Andie D’Amico — Ali, Sophie’s friend who serves as Dance Captain and featured dancer.
* Nicole Teper — Lisa, Sophie’s friend and featured dancer.
* Evan Leahy — Pepper, Sky’s buddy and co-worker with Eddie.
* John Allison — Eddie, assistant in water sports.
* Peter Norris — Father Alexandrios, island’s priest.
“This spectacular cast has 53 student actors, singers and dancers,” Davis said. The production crew includes Davis as Director; Technical Director Jesse Tilton; Musical Director Newt Johnson; Costumer Shari Kingsford; Choreographers Nolen Gunner and Briana Caudle; Student Director Samantha Bignault; Student Producer Maelee Hamlett; and Dance Captains Andie D’Amico and Elizabeth Lockwood.
“Mamma Mia!” has 25 student technicians, including student costumers. “Shari Kingsford is once again costume designer, busy with her team of students and parents preparing about 250 costumes for 51 actors. Leading student costumers are Harper Bailey, Acadia Kynard and Sophia Kessler,” Davis said.
Also on tech are Student Stage Managers Anjalee Crawford, Evan Highsmith and Emily Mitchell; Scene Shop Student Manager Nathan Ramsey; Sound Design Al Gilbert; Student Sound Abigail Creekmore, Mitch Czarnota and Parker Cushing; and Lights Crew Taylor Webb and Josh Bryce.
“Jesse Tilton is a wonderful partner,” Davis said. “He has designed a gorgeous set, putting that MFA in scenic design to use. The curved staircase to upstairs balcony for The Dynamos’ ‘Super Trouper’ is probably my favorite set part.”
Show times will be Thursdays-Saturdays for two weeks: April 14, 15 and 16 at 7 p.m. (also 2 p.m. on April 16) and April 21, 22 and 23 at 7 p.m. (also 2 p.m. on April 23).
Patrons can select seats for each show. For tickets, visit showtix4u.com/event-details/60603 or buy at the door. Ticket costs are adult, $18; military, $15; senior citizen, $15; and student, $10.
For more information, visit Facebook/BJHS Mamma Mia or instagram.com/bobjonesmusical2022. For tickets, visit www.showtix4u.com/event-details/60603.