Ad Spot

UAB, Madison firefighters urge fire safety measures during the holidays

MADISON – Most people consider the Christmas and New Year’s holidays as their favorite time of the year, but these weeks also can be one of the most dangerous times.

Unattended candles cause two out of five fires from home decorations, according to the United States Fire Administration. Electrical problems ignite one in four fires of Christmas trees.

In addition, Madison Fire and Rescue Department urges individuals to have an exit plan from their house in case of fire. One safety measure is installing smoke detectors inside and outside bedrooms. Families should decide on a safe place to meet after exiting a house on fire. (Facebook/Madison Fire and Rescue)

The Environmental Health and Safety Department at the University of Alabama at Birmingham has compiled several common-sense cautions to observe:

* Allow space for heat sources – Avoid placing Christmas trees close to heat sources. The Red Cross recommends keeping trees, candles and other decorations, like rugs and wrapping paper, at least three feet from fireplaces, radiators, space heaters, candles and heat vents.

* Mind your Christmas tree — The best way to prevent tree fires is to purchase a flame-retardant metallic or artificial tree, according to the Red Cross. For a live tree, be sure its needles are fresh, green and don’t break easily.

* Cooking cautions – The Red Cross advises holiday cooks to keep stoves clear without flammables nearby, like potholders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper plates, plastic bags and towels. The National Fire Protection Association claims most kitchen fires result from unattended items that are cooking. Do not use a stove if you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol.

* Read the instructions – Never overload strands of Christmas lights. Read the manufacturer’s instructions before decorating and replace strands with frayed cords.

* Use space heaters responsibly – Buy a heater with automatic shut-off and tip-over protection. Don’t use extension cords. “Space heaters are involved in nearly 80 percent of fatal home fires,” Robert Emmons, UAB campus safety manager, said. UAB policy requires heating elements on space heaters not to exceed 212 degrees F.

James Clemens High School

James Clemens Theatre claims awards at state Trumbauer festival

Madison

City council green-lights $11 million bid to turn old Three Springs complex into community center

Madison

Young artists can submit artwork that will be launched into space

Events

Toyota Field to host Artemis I splashdown party on Sunday

Bob Jones High School

Bob Jones to represent Alabama at Southeastern Theatre Conference

Business

The State Of The Rocket City Trash Pandas 2022

FRONT PAGE FEATURED

Rocket City Marathon 2022: New Format, New Course, New Day

James Clemens High School

Christmas Card Lane brightens downtown streets

Liberty Middle School

World War II, Korea veteran Walt Siffringer accepts Quilt of Valor

Bob Jones High School

beEntrepreneurial [beE] High School Idea Competition sets Dec. 7 deadline

Madison

School board approves bid to turn the old West Madison campus into PreK Center

Bob Jones High School

Greenpower racing builds STEM skills and confidence

Madison

Madison Animal Rescue Foundation in need of new foster homes

Madison

How to submit your child’s “Letter to Santa”

Events

Neighbors: Community theater groups in Decatur to stage ‘ELF: The Musical’

Events

Driving Nights for Galaxy of Lights begin today at Huntsville Botanical Garden

Events

Polar Express Christmas Tree Trail lighting and Wassail Fest being held Friday in downtown Madison

Polar Express Christmas Tree Trail lighting and Wassail Fest being held Friday in downtown Madison

Bob Jones High School

Former Patriot named assistant director of coaching at North Alabama SC

Former Patriot named assistant director of coaching at North Alabama SC

Digital Version

Check out the new issue of Madison Living Magazine

James Clemens High School

James Clemens medical and drama students, first responders simulate trauma scene

Madison

Curbside recycling recovery assistance throughout the weekend

Bob Jones High School

Scholarships at stake in American Legion oratorical contest

Bob Jones High School

Nichols’ podcast avers multi-disciplines feed theatre

Business

Town Madison becomes city’s first Arts & Entertainment District

x